Friday, February 5, 2010

Just Say Yes!

Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker...
Isaiah 45:9

The secret to having a stress-free relationship with God is to say yes the first time God asks you or leads you to do something.  It sounds very simple right, but I must be honest in admitting that it has taken me about 16 years to figure out this most basic of principles: say yes to God! 

I have a problem.  Now I know what you're thinking, "How is that possible for someone like me who has it all together to have a problem.  It's shocking I know, I know, but even someone like me has problems :)  I have a tendency to fight God. Now you're thinking; Oh Kevin you're right; that is a problem!"  But you're wrong; that's not the problem.  The problem isn't that I fight God, the real problem is that when I fight God I actually think I can win!  I'm not kidding.  There's a part of me that really believes that one of these days if I keep giving God a hard time I'm going to wear God out and God's going to say, "Whatever Kevin, I'm tired; you have worn me out.  You win this round".  And sometimes I'm just in shock that God hasn't done so yet.  What is God waiting for?  I mean really.  I've been putting up a pretty good fight for years!  In clinical terms my problem would accurately be called a patholgy!  It's insane to think that you can get God to "see things your way" and go along with your plan, but I doubt very strongly that I'm the only one suffering from this pathology.  Oh no!  This is a pathology that is running rampant throughout the world.  At times we actually believe that we know better than God!

A very wise woman by the name of Pastor Sonja once preached a sermon called "Just Do It!"  And the basic premise of her sermon was "Hey, when God tells you to do something; just do it!  It's pure genius: say yes to God the first time around and save yourself all the hassle of fighting with God.  "Your arms are too short to box with God", one of my favorite pastors likes to say and it's finally sinking through my thick skull.  I've worn myself out trying to convince God that my way really is better than whatever plan God's cooked up on his own without consulting me first by the way, ahem.  Now I'm the one saying, "Whatever you want Lord; I'm tired.  You have worn me out.  You win this round and there's not going to be a round two because even Kevin Vetiac isn't that crazy!"  My answer to God is Yes!  Yes! Yes!  Better late than never!

Following the Way,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment