Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shaken: Part 2

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:

“ Whom shall I send,
And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”
Isaiah 6:8

My response to the devastation caused by the earthquake in Haiti and to the realization that I have lived a very selfish spoiled life is to say yes to whatever God may want me to do to help.  I no longer want to live a life that is divorced from the suffering of others.  The earthquake in Haiti has changed me forever.  I must use all that I have been given to help those who do not have as much, to be a voice for those who cannot speak, and an advocate for those who have none, to demonstrate the love of Christ that I have so richly experienced to others in need.

I believe that God has laid it upon my heart to leave everything behind and spend at least a year in Petit Goave, Haiti, the village where both of my parents are from, the village where my grandmother lived and died and is now buried, the village where my uncle now lives since his home in Port-au-Prince is damaged.  The village that up until now has been nothing more to me than "some place back there".  I don't know what I will find when I get there.  I will have to give up some things.  There are no Express clothing stores there, no Macy's, no Filene's, no Cheesecake Factory.  I won't be able to run to CVS and pick up some deodorant.  My God do the people over there even where deodorant???  Even if they don't (God help me) my response to God's prompting in my heart is "Yes!".  Yes I will go.  Yes I will serve.  Yes I will leave all of my comfort zones behind and follow Christ wherever He leads me.  Here am I, send me Lord!

My long-term goal is to build a US accredited school in Petit Goave, affectionately called Ti Goave that will allow Haitian students upon completion to attend college in US so that when they return to Haiti they will be equipped to take on key leadership positions and help turn their nation around.  I am recording another album and all of the profit from the CD sales will go to this endeavor.  I am naming my non-profit organization the Louise Amelie Edouard Education Foundation in honor of my grandmother who spent her whole life in Ti Goave and moved on from this life a few months ago.  I am honored and humbled that God would find me fit to be used for His service in such an endeavor.  I plan to leave for Haiti in September and I will bring lots of deodorant with me to share with EVERYONE I encounter :)

Following the Way,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment